Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Whose that squishing around my squash...

I always have someone down in the garden with me and today it was Miss Annabel.
Basket in hand ready to pick what goodies we might find...

A few months ago I planted a handful of mixed squash seeds behind the chook coop, I really didn't think any of them would survive. Firstly they have to make it through the daily chicken scratch up and after that  its hubby's Whipper Snipper!!!  He likes to keep a manicured lawn (yes,all 5 acres) and if it's not in my one of my allocated garden areas then it's fair game to all...


You can imagine how surprised I was when I noticed this prickly little Squash vine growing up from under my Mulberry Tree.

Last week flowers...This week baby squash...
 
We both admired this baby squash as if it were a piece of Gold..Then we ATE it...as soon as it was picked...It was sweet and crunchy, I couldn't imagine boiling these little treats up for dinner now after knowing how yum they taste fresh and raw...I think I'll be making these a salad vegetable from now on....
There should be a few more to pick by the end of next week...that's if no one else finds them...Sshhh...

4 comments:

  1. Lol, I tended my squash with superb loving care and got NOTHING from them, you throw them at the ground and get wonderful produce! Oh I should find another passion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. little miss A looks sweet enough to eat too ~_~
    i just love your way of life, we would love to have some space and one day we shall! like you said in a previous post...little steps, one at a time.
    xxrosey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Ali, lol...you have a wonderful and very inspiring garden...Keep up the good work!

    Thanks Rosey, and Welcome...They are very small steps that we take, lots of trial and error. I always think it's a nicer path when one can stop to smell the roses along the way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a punnet at Bunnings on the 99c rack, and low and behold, they are bursting out of their spots where I planted them...I picked the first yesterday...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today, please take a moment to say Hi and leave a comment it’s nice to know who's visiting. Your comments, questions and answers are all an extension to my posts and I appreciate each and every one of them.
Thank you for taking the time.
Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...