Thursday, December 9, 2010

Farm Fresh

Milk....

I still dream about having a Milking Cow, a  little milking shed down the back by the chooks....
But in the meantime I have a  friend who has a friend who has a dairy....and I got 10 litres delivered today. 
Yum!  
My mother was raised on a dairy farm. I'm sure my mother  would probably rather forget having to get up at 5am to milk the cows, (then peddle 20 km on her bike to school) then have to do it all again in the afternoon...you know the story......

It was this farm that has given me some of the most  cherished and memorable moments of my childhood.  By the time my cousins and I started hanging out on the farm in the school holidays, my grandfather had passed away, and the days of the working dairy were long gone, however we were still lucky enough to have my Nana, and Fresh Milk from a couple of house cows that my uncle milked. We had fresh (sometimes even still warm) milk on our cereal for breakfast, and when we were thirsty we poured ourselves a glass of cold milk...I remember Nana saying "make sure you shake it up first" as the cream would sit on the top. That was my favourite part, I never did shake that bottle.
Its been nice to sit here, drink my glass of milk and take a long pleasurable walk back down memory lane....
Hubby tells me he was also raised on fresh milk, growing up on a remote property in New South Wales, it either had to be farm fresh or powdered...He is such a big strong man now!

Now, back to work...in the time I have taken to write this post, myself and the kids have already guzzled down 2 litres! So, that leaves me with 2 litres more to drink tomorrow and 6 litres to make my cheese, just enough.  I have heard that the cheese made with raw milk adds an extra depth and flavour, so this I soon shall see....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by today, please take a moment to say Hi and leave a comment it’s nice to know who's visiting. Your comments, questions and answers are all an extension to my posts and I appreciate each and every one of them.
Thank you for taking the time.
Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...