Monday, November 28, 2011

Devon Sandwiches

Did you ever get Devon Sandwiches in your lunchbox when you were growing up?
You may also know this meat product as Luncheon  or Veal German. 
It's a real family favourite around here, it's cheap, it's tasty and it lasts forever....God knows what it's made with though, you always hear all these awful stories about what goes in it, not to mention all the preservatives.
Here's a nice homemade version of Devon, it's a much healthier alternative, it's quite simple and it's fun to make.  
If your not a fan of the commercially made product then you must try this sometime, I'm sure you'll be impressed.  
Homemade Devon Sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
 1 x tab chopped capsicum
2 x tab butter
2 x eggs, beaten
1/3 cup tomato juice 
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 teasp salt
1/4 teasp dry mustard
750gm minced beef
250gm minced pork
Cook the onion and capsicum in butter until soft but not brown.  Combine with all the other ingredients in a food processor until well mixed and mushy.
Set out a sheet of tin foil and roll the mixture into a sausage, secure the ends. 
Bake at 180 degrees for approx 1 1/2 hours.  Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.  
When cooled, store in the fridge, slice as needed.  Can be eaten like a meatloaf with a fresh crisp salad or steamed veggies or enjoyed at it's best on a freshly made sandwich.  Like any standard cooked meat, it will only keep in the fridge for a couple of days, but it does freeze well.  Sliced or left whole.
Also a handy little sausage to take all wrapped up to a picnic...
Devon Cheese & Tomato toasties...
My all time favourite, Devon and Tomato sauce.....

19 comments:

  1. I hear you! I love devon and tomato sauce sangers. Rember when they used to put mashed potato wrapped in devon? Yum.

    Your devon looks much more "real"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of Devon and was thinking it was a bit like Devonshire tea..jam and cream sandwiches :) luncheon I am familiar with having worked in deli's when I was younger.

    It's not something we buy due to all the 'crap' put in it but your homemade variety looks pretty darn good.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favoite sandwich was with my Mums green tomato pickle

    ReplyDelete
  4. in NZ we always called it Belgium...If this dvd calledthe Victorian Kitchen that shows how to make it..to get it really fine they press it the a seieve I like your way better very yum..as children we would have belgium(cold) salad,new potatoes or mashed with beetroot and minted peas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your homemade version looks delicious. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have Fritz in South Australia...my local butcher makes his own and it is a favourite with my children. A tradition is that the butcher always gives the kids a slice of fritz when you go to the butcher shop here....My dad was a butcher, and once told me when I was about 5 that it was made from horses tongue...well that did it for me, I hate fritz...always have, always will...and so will most of the grade 1 class at Glenelg Primary School that I told it to as well.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this recipe. Looking forward to trying it. I'm always looking out for new luncheon ideas. I think this will be a winner with my husband.

    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds very nice. How many days does it keep in the fridge?

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How amazing! I've never seen a homemade version of this before. I keep thinking of it as 'luncheon meat'..or is that something else?

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow I will be giving this a go for sure. How long does it keep and does it freeze?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to try this one as the kids have packed lunches and I don't like buying the commercial stuff. What temp should I bake it at and is it really 14 teaspoons dry mustard?

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I didn't even know you could make something like that, that's what I like about blogging, there is always something new to learn, I may give that a go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Dear, thanks anonymous...NO, it is only 1/4 teasp of dry mustard, I have altered the recipe above, thanks for pointing this out. Could have been a disaster....
    Freezes Well, sliced or whole and because there is no preservative in this version it will only keep in the fridge for a couple of days...Always smell it first!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will definitely try this one:0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...i really used to love devon and sauce sandwiches....i did stop buying it because of what was in it though...am always tempted though!
    Your recipe looks great...can't wait to try it, i wouldn't have even thought of trying to make it!Thanks for sharing it.
    Laughed when i read one of the comments about Fritz....when we moved from Sth Aust to QLD mum apparently looked everywhere for fritz and couldn't find it...she still swears devon isn't as good as fritz but i was too young to remember!
    Jode x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for posting this, I had not ever thought of making it, it always worries me buying this because of what's in it, even though everyone here seems to love it...I will give this a go...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum , thankyou for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today, please take a moment to say Hi and leave a comment it’s nice to know who's visiting. Your comments, questions and answers are all an extension to my posts and I appreciate each and every one of them.
Thank you for taking the time.
Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...