Friday, June 10, 2011

Plain Cake

I had planned on naming a few more of my chooks today but it was way too cold to venture outside this morning taking photos. 
So, I decide to BAKE instead.
This recipe is anything other than plain (as the title suggests).  It is my base recipe for many a delight I have whipped up in the kitchen.
 

Cake
125gm butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teasp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2  cups sr flour

Beat butter and Sugar until light and fluffy
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well in between
Add vanilla
Add flour and milk alternately and mix lightly 
Pour mixture into a greased cake tin
Bake in a moderate oven for approx 35 minutes
Spread with Icing - 
Today - Passionfruit Icing (because I have 2 ripe passionfruits,Yeh!)
Two passionfruits, approx 1 cup of icing sugar and a dash of water, mix to make a nice smooth icing.

Variations:  This is the exciting part!

Orange Cake (Hubby's favourite) 
Reduce milk to 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup of orange juice and add grated rind from one orange
Ice with orange butter icing - 2 cups icing sugar, 2 tab butter, 1 - 2 tab orange juice, grated orange rind.  Beat Well

 Coffee Cake
Add 1 tab instant coffee dissolved in small amount of water
Ice with coffee butter icing - 2 cups icing sugar, 2 tab butter and small amount of dissolved instant coffee, depending on taste approx 1 - 2 teaspoons.  Sprinkle with chopped Walnuts.
Other Variations I have made:
Sultana Cake - Add 3/4 cup sultanas to cake mix. 
No need to ice.
Great easy recipe for Patty Cakes, just pour mixture into patty pan cases instead of a cake tin, you may have to reduce cooking time slightly though. I think it makes about 1 doz.
It can also be used to make a nice warm Pudding, just pour mixture on top of Stewed fruit (Apples, Apricots, Peaches, Rhubarb & Apple, Mulberries etc...) and bake.
Serve warm with cream or ice-cream
Icing Variations 
Chocolate icing sprinkled with coconut
Pink or plain icing sprinkled with sprinkles, 100's & 1000's
Topped with cherries, grated chocolate, the sky is the limit!


So you see, this Plain Cake is not really that Plain at all!
What would you do with this Cake? 

14 comments:

  1. I use the same almost identical recipe for my plain cake, and thats what we call it here too..the plain cake...I do the orange cake, the cup cakes, cinnamon cake, the sultana cake...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohh nice will have to try that

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of those recipes that I'm always looking for when I need something basic. Mind you, most of my cooking is basic I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What would I do with that cake? I'd slice is still warm from the oven, make a good cup of tea - loose tea, no tea bag rubbish - and I'd enjoy it.

    I make a very similar cake and the most popular version of it is with the addition of coffee and walnuts. But I have to say your plain cake with passionfruit icing looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hint of Cinnamon sounds nice Suzanne. Will try this, maybe with some apple as well, bit like a tea cake.

    Easy Recipe, the kidlets can make this one for you JoyfulHM.

    Wendy, keep this recipe up your sleeve, you'd be surprised how many times you use it!

    It is hard to choose which one to make sometimes Rhonda, they are ALL Delicious! Enjoying a slice right now actually!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fabulously moist and gorgeous! I've been making an effort to do more baking this year so will be back to borrow this recipe!
    Thanks for popping over to mine, I always wonder what life would be like with 4 girls and 1 boy, rather than 4 boys and 1 girl!
    Have a great weekend,
    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! Now I know your secret! (how to become a domestic goddess!)

    I would love a piece of that orange cake right now, might have to bake one tomorrow:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to double the mixture and make the coffee variation with 1/2 and the sultana with the other half :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm...delicious! I just baked the Orange cake and teh date loaf from a previous post...and all I can say is...YUM! Thanks for some great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just been reading Rhonda's blog which lead me to this post {how did I miss this} and I think I am going to try each and every variation you have suggested...and maybe even lemon :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen,
    thanks for the great recipe, I will definately be making that. I got the link from Rhonda at Down to Earth.
    Dayla

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this recipe last Saturday and it was a big hit. Thanks for the tip :)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have tried this recipe from your blog and it is honestly the best plain cake recipe I've had. It is now my go to recipe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you please specify the oven temperature.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today, please take a moment to say Hi and leave a comment it’s nice to know who's visiting. Your comments, questions and answers are all an extension to my posts and I appreciate each and every one of them.
Thank you for taking the time.
Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...